12 egg whites
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
· Measure egg whites to be equal to 1½ cups. Place in mixing bowl with paddle attachment and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
· Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar and flour together three times; set aside.
· Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites. Beat on high speed.
· Gradually add sugar, beating on high speed (#8 of 10) until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
· Fold in flour mixture on lowest speed or with spatula, ¼ cup at a time. Gently spoon into pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
· Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
· Immediately invert pan over a bottle with a couple cans under the sides for balance; cool completely before removing cake from pan.
· Serve with cool-whip and strawberries.
· Cold eggs are easier to divide. Divide one egg at a time. If any egg yolk gets in, don’t use that egg for the cake. The tiniest bit of yolk will color the whole cake.
· Always use a metal bowl
· Keep batter away from any grease!! Never grease the angel food cake pan
· Don’t skip the sifting—gives the cake a nice velvety texture.
· Beware of “mice” while the cake is cooling